Welcome to Second Ferment! Wine pairs well with life ... and food, travel, people, work and play. Grab a glass and join me as I explore the wine scene in Ottawa, Canada, and beyond. Love hearing from my readers, so please leave a comment. Cheers! - Bethany

Monday, October 13, 2008

Quaff this: La Mascota 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon, Lenko 2004 Meritage, Les Jonqueyres 2004 Bordeaux

This was one of my purchases from my first Vintages release experience. After a long and fun-filled Thanksgiving weekend, Hubby and I celebrated the gorgeous weather (over 20 degrees Celsius) with steak on the Q and a fat Cab Sauv in our glasses. All about the fruit, big, jammy, bold, bordering on shiraz. With a bit of time to rest in the glass, notes of coffee and chocolate came out, but the fruit was consistent (cherries, blackberries, raspberries). The tannins were moderate to low, making it very easy to drink, and went great with our steak.

Over the weekend, I entertained my parents and mother-in-law with a Canada vs. the World tasting, mimicking something I found online about such a competition held by the Ontario Wine Society in 2006, which was widely covered by the Little Fat Wino, Tony Aspler and other notable oenophiles, and which reflected the Judgement of Paris (another great thing about 1976!) in that Canada totally whupped some French ass.

So I brought that Battle of the Brands home, and lo and behold, Ontario won out again: Daniel Lenko 2004 Meritage was preferred by all present over the Chateau Les Jonqueyres 2004 Bordeaux. (Everyone was very quick to add that it wasn't that the French was bad; the empty, dried-out bottle showed that clearly enough.) The Meritage had a bit more weight for our meal (lamb chops done in a lemon juice, thyme and honey marinade) but the French was and equally delightful wine to drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...