Welcome to Second Ferment! Wine pairs well with life ... and food, travel, people, work and play. Grab a glass and join me as I explore the wine scene in Ottawa, Canada, and beyond. Love hearing from my readers, so please leave a comment. Cheers! - Bethany

Monday, January 05, 2009

Quaff this: Gabbiano 2007 Pinot Grigio (Italy)

Christmas blessed me with an abundance of free money to spend foolishly and with complete abandon at the Rideau/King Edward LCBO. Honestly, I could spend an entire day hanging out there in "The Basement" of that main hive of Ottawa's liquor stores. I ended up splurging on a few special bottles, some on dear Mr. Phillips' recommendation: Fazi Battaglia 2007 Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi DOC (Italy); Antonin Rodet 2005 Grand Vin de Bourgogne Meursault (France); Cakebread Cellars 2006 Chardonnay (Napa Valley); Ricasoli 2006 Brolio Chianti Classico DOCG (Italy). Keep ya posted on when the corks get popped.

I also grabbed a couple Gabbiano 2007 Pinot Grigios from the Venezie DOC of northeastern Italy. This is really lovely stuff. Fresh, zesty, lots of lemon, light-bodied with a nice bite of acid. Dry, crisp finish. Had it with (and in) Hubby's haddock italiano, which still makes the short list of my favourite dishes ever. Big chunks of white fish doing laps in a shallow pool of italian herbs and tomatoes, tucked in a nest of whole wheat linguine. I gush and drool and roll my eyes when I see this on the menu for the week. No kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...